Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 13- Friday, February 18th

We left our hostel and drove around doing errands. I had looked up an organic store earlier, so we went there and I got a bunch of gluten free snacks. Then we drove out to Akaroa. It was an hour and a half drive, and very scenic. I will try not to put in too many beautiful landscapes, but it’s hard.

We got to Akaroa and got on the bus to Pohatu. It was a guided tour, and we went to look at a farm with a lighthouse in it, which had very scenic views. Then we looked at a trap they had, which had some prehistoric bugs in it.



We were dropped off at a trail head and started to walk down to the camp. Some It was a 2.5 hour hike, but it took us a bit longer. There were lots of water falls that we went and looked at, and very beautiful plants and landscapes. There was a beautiful swimming pool with a waterfall into it, but we didn’t have time to stop. I think we might go back tomorrow. Unfortunately, for part of the journey my Teva was adjusted wrong and I got a small blister. Hopefully I will be able to adjust it better tonight.

Along the way we saw signs explaining a little about the park. The border of it was covered with traps to keep away predators. This is a morally dilemma for me. On one hand, it is important to protect endangered species. But on the other hand, killing other animals to protect them doesn’t seem quite right to me. I guess just having these traps along the outside of the park will just keep the animals away.

The landscapes near the end of the track where very fantasy like, and I can definitely understand why the filmed the Lord of the Rings here. I think that my blog’s background will be one of these pictures for the next few days.

Our cabin

After we got to the camp, we dropped off some of our stuff and relaxed. We explored a bit and rested until 7, when we went around the corner to the owner’s house for the penguin tour. We saw her feed some penguins that needed special care and some with chicks. We had to put on camoflouge (ugh) so that the penguins would always be used to that. Then she took some out to a little pond and let them swim around. We also got to walk out and see their nesting bins. They weren’t nesting now, but molting. Even normally they wouldn’t have been here, but a change in ocean currents had caused a shortage in fish, so the penguins’ schedule was offset. We also got to use binoculars to see some out on the beach.




Even though it is now the 18th, this probably won’t be posted until the 21st, when we will be in a place with internet. Sorry for the delay.

NOTE: Sorry all of this is a bit late. I am in a place with internet, but I haven't had time to work on the blog much. I am trying to finish an English paper before I go on our four day backpacking trip. It may be for our five more days before I get anything else posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment