Friday, March 4, 2011

Abel Tasman- Day 3

Day 20- February 25th

We got up late and lounged around for a bit, then left by 9:30. We only had a short hike today, and got there by 11.

DSC_0145

A nice stream we saw on the way.

Our campground was Tonga Quarry, which had been the site of an old quarry. It was right along the trail, with three sites right next to the trail and another four down by the beach. I found a beautiful sandy spot down by a river, but my parents camped by the trail. I camped in my campsite. I went wading around in the stream, and then explored a small cave with my dad.

DSC_0157DSC_0168DSC_0178DSC_0182

A couple stopped by the beach who had been to Haines and had bought a piece of glass artwork from Sharon Svenson and we talked with them for a while. My sister went swimming down in the ocean, but had to be careful for jellyfish.

I took a nap later, and when I woke up a noisy youth group had camped next to me. My parents decided that they wanted me camped by them, so nobody else would camp next to them. I moved everything out of my tent and we carried it over.

We ran out of things to do, so we hiked 15 minutes to Onetahuti, a long beach that we would be hiking the next day. My family swam while I took pictures.

DSC_0191DSC_0202

We had spaghetti with powdered Jello for desert, then went to bed. It looked like it might rain, so I made sure to stake out my fly. Because I had taken a nap earlier that day, I didn’t fall asleep until 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment