Wednesday, March 16, 2011

North from Waihi Beach… and back again

Day 37- March 14th

The next morning was a Monday, so Rick had to go to work. My dad went in later to meet him so he could meet his boss. My parents wanted to have contacts here so that they could get a job and move here if they wanted. I told them that they could do that after I was at college.

Megan and Bryan are both homeschooled, but they still had to do school work in the morning. I helped Megan a bit with her Algebra and she showed me how to cast off nines. This is an interesting trick to check your work when doing any kind of arithmetic besides subtracting.

I also had Megan show me her grammar book. I would be taking the Alaska Standardized test when I got back, and I haven’t learned a thing about grammar since 7th grade. I had never realized how many grammar rules there are. I can usually write with okay grammar, but I have no clue what the Objective case is. If those even exist, since I have already forgotten everything. Hopefully there won’t be too much grammar on the test.

I also had to work on my research paper, since we would be stopping at the Treaty of Waitangi grounds sometime in the next few days and I wanted to get some video for the podcast I will be making. When I get back I am probably going to have a week before I have to finish my paper and make a video of it, so it is best to get started ahead of time.

Later I went swimming on the beach with Megan for a bit. Then it was time to go. They tried to convince us to stay another night, but we only had a week left and wanted to explore some more. On our way out we stopped by the open pit mine that was run by Rick’s employer.


DSC_0035pano

We had driven about for about an hour before we got a message from Donna. She had just found my epipen, which we had accidently left in her van. So now we drove an hour back to Waihi, and then on to Katikati, where we got the epipen from Andrew.

By now we were getting tired, so we drove up to a little holiday park in Waiwera and got a cabin for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment