Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 15


Okay, I am finally updating my blog after a week and a half. I will be posting a lot at once, so make sure to read back so you don't miss anything.

Day 14-February 19th

Today we got up early to go kayaking. It was windy out, so we thought we might not go, but the owner said we could. A bunch of track walkers also came. These were people walking along a 3-4 day hike, known as the Banks Peninsula track. Each day they pass from one farm to another, and spend each night on a different person’s farm. The farm owners also transport their luggage for them.

Along the beach and path we saw a four or five dead penguins. The owners had said that food was scarce this year, but I hadn’t realized what a big effect it was having. One penguin appeared to have been walking up the road towards are camping, but couldn’t get through the gate and had died there.

My dad and sister decided not to go, so my mom and I shared a kayak. We went out along the cliffs and saw some penguins and seals. The waves were pretty big, so my mom was a bit worried. In Alaska, the water is much colder and falling out of the boat is a big deal, since you can die in only five or ten minutes from cold. We also usually kayak in a canvas kayak, so we have to be careful about rocks. Today we were in plastic boats, so we didn’t need to worry nearly as much. On the way back we kayaked into a cave a little ways and got to see the big waves fill up the cave.

Later we went on a short hike with my dad and sister. On the way back, we saw a man herding sheep with two sheep dogs. It was amazing how well the dogs worked together to herd the sheep. We climbed up on a hill on the side of the road to watch the sheep pass. My mom and I climbed up a small ridge further up the hill and found a gate. We didn’t have much else to do, so we went through and further up. We felt sort of like we weren’t supposed to go up here, but the owners hadn’t said anything so we weren’t sure. We got a ways of the ridge and I got some good pictures.


Later my dad and sister and I went on another short hike, and I took lots of small movie clips of the scenery. I am hoping to make a small movie when I get back.

Day 15- February 20th

We drove back into Christchurch and went to an Arts and Crafts fair. Then we successfully returned our rental car and got one that wasn’t moldy. We did a bunch of shopping, and then drove to our campground for the night in Buxton. We set up our tents, and then cooked dinner in the kitchen facilities at the campground. One of the nice things about campgrounds in New Zealand is that almost all of them have a kitchen of some sort, showers, and playgrounds.

After dinner I walked out on the beach. It was really windy out, so there were huge waves. I took a lot of pictures, but none of them turned out very well.



No comments:

Post a Comment